- One year overall VC returns of 10.8% vs. ten and twenty year averages of 20.5% and 16.5%, respectively
- Early stage VC performance of 2.9%, 5.5%, and -5.4% for one, three, and five years, respectively. (Wow, it’s getting harder to be an early-stage VC; the ten-year average is 38.3%.)
- Late stage VCs are doing better, however: one year performance of 27.8% vs. ten and twenty year averages of 20.5% and 16.5%, respectively
- One year private equity performance of 19% vs. ten and twenty year averages of 9.4% and 13.9%
I’m Dave Kellogg, advisor, director, consultant, angel investor, and blogger focused on enterprise software startups. I am an executive-in-residence (EIR) at Balderton Capital and principal of my own eponymous consulting business.
I bring an uncommon perspective to startup challenges having 10 years’ experience at each of the CEO, CMO, and independent director levels across 10+ companies ranging in size from zero to over $1B in revenues.
From 2012 to 2018, I was CEO of cloud EPM vendor Host Analytics, where we quintupled ARR while halving customer acquisition costs in a competitive market, ultimately selling the company in a private equity transaction.
Previously, I was SVP/GM of the $500M Service Cloud business at Salesforce; CEO of NoSQL database provider MarkLogic, which we grew from zero to $80M over 6 years; and CMO at Business Objects for nearly a decade as we grew from $30M to over $1B in revenues. I started my career in technical and product marketing positions at Ingres and Versant.
I love disruption, startups, and Silicon Valley and have had the pleasure of working in varied capacities with companies including Bluecore, Cyral, FloQast, GainSight, MongoDB, Pigment, Recorded Future, and Tableau.
I previously served on the boards of Alation (data intelligence), Aster Data (big data), Granular (agtech), Nuxeo (content services), and Profisee (MDM).
I periodically speak to strategy and entrepreneurship classes at the Haas School of Business (UC Berkeley) and Hautes Études Commerciales de Paris (HEC).
Follow Blog via Email
- Career Development: What It Really Means to be a Manager, Director, or VP
- Preview of My SaaStr Europa Talk: The Top 5 Scale-Up Mistakes
- What To Do When You Need Pipeline in a Hurry
- Introducing a New SaaS Metric: The Hype Factor
- Talking Burn: Appearance on the Metric Stack Podcast on Cash Conversion Score and Related Metrics
Recent TweetsMy Tweets