To show my open-mindedness I just un-installed Xobni for the *second* time, indicating that I’ve twice tried the email add-on in the past few months and twice decided that its value-add is not worth the performance hit.
Yes, it’s cute. It adds a nice little pane to Outlook on the right that keeps in sync with the email I’m reading and lets me see things like:
- A histogram that shows messages by time of day
- A ranking in my most messages exchanged list
- A list of documents we’ve exchanged
- A list of conversation threads we’ve had
- The “social network” of the sender — i.e., a list of people they frequently communicate with that strikes me as touching on privacy issues.
In fact, the most fun I had with Xobni on this go-round was in letting it send rankings to my frequent email recipients a la “Hi, did you know that I’ve recently sent you 1,579 emails and you rank #3 on my list!” (To which I got the reply: “I feel sorry for numbers 2 and 1.”)
It’s all nice and cute, but it slows down my already-lumbering machine, and I don’t find the cuteness a reasonable ROI on the performance penalty.
The company apparently recently walked away from a Microsoft acquisition offer, rumored in the $20M range. 54% of Techcrunch readers survey think the company should have sold, the other 46% thought they’d be worth more a year from now.
As they say in French, on verra.