Come to a webinar next week that Mark Logic is sponsoring entitled Gilbane’s Top 5 Predictions for Publishers in 2009 featuring speaker Steve Paxhia, lead analyst with The Gilbane Group.
Steve will discuss trends from his upcoming report, entitled “Digital Platforms and Technologies for Book Publishers: Implementations Beyond eBook,” where he identifies five important trends that are changing the landscape for information providers:
- The Domain Strikes Back. Traditional publishers leverage their domain expertise to create premium, authoritative digital products that trump free and informed internet content.
- Discoverability Overcomes Paranoia. Publishers realize the value in being discovered online, as research shows that readers do buy whole books and subscriptions based on excerpts and previews.
- Custom, Custom, Custom. XML technology enables publishers to cost-effectively create custom products, a trend that has rapidly accelerated in the last six to nine months, especially in the educational textbook segment.
- Communities Count. Communities will exert greater influence on digital publishing strategies, as providers engage readers to help build not only their brands but also their products.
- Print on Demand. Print on demand increases in production quality and cost-effectiveness, leading to larger runs, more short-run custom products, and deeper backlists.
Learn more about these trends and find out if your company has the tools, processes, and attitudes required to exploit them in an uncertain market. All attendees will receive a copy of the completed research report from Gilbane.