The intent of each of these graphical devices is the same: to provide a simple picture that selects the top vendors in a category and positions them by (1) a rating on the quality of their strategy and (2) a rating on the quality of the execution of their strategy.
While the ratings are inherently subjective, each customers has his/her own unique requirements, and “your mileage may vary,” these matrices are useful tools in helping customers make IT supplier decisions.
To start with a brief word from our sponsor, I’m pleased to note that:
- Host Analytics is the best-positioned cloud EPM vendor on Gartner’s magic quadrant for what they call CPM (corporate performance management.)
- Host Analytics is the only cloud vendor in the leaders segment on Forrester’s wave for what they call FPM (financial performance management).
While the temptation is to immediately examine small positioning deltas of the charted vendors (as I just did above), I’d note that one of the best uses of these diagrams is to instead look at who’s not there. For example,
- Anaplan is omitted from Gartner’s MQ, Forrester’s Wave, and Ovum’s DM. I believe this is because they come to market with a value proposition more around platform than app, and that most analysts and customers define EPM as an applications market. In plain English: there is a difference between saying “you can build an X using our stuff” and “we have built an X and can sell you one.”
- Tidemark is present on Forrester’s wave, but omitted from both the Gartner MQ and the Ovum DM. I believe this is because of I what I’d characterize as “strategic schizophrenia” on Tidemark’s part with an initial message (back in the Proferi era) around EPM/GRC convergence, followed by an enterprise analytics message (e.g., infographics, visualization) with a strong dose of SoLoMo, which bowed to Sand Hill Road sexiness if not actual financial customer demand. Lost in the shuffle for many years was EPM (and along with it, much of their Workday partnership).
I’m pleased to announce that Host Analytics has once again received an excellent rating on one of these matrices, the Ovum Decision Matrix for EPM 2014-15.
- The only cloud vendors on the matrix are Host Analytics and Adaptive Insights (fka, Adaptive Planning).
- Host Analytics is shown edging out Adaptive Insights on overall technology assessment.
- Adaptive Insights is shown edging out Host Analytics on execution, which is quite ironic given that Adaptive recently ousted its CEO, something, shall we say, that typically doesn’t happen when execution is going well.